Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships 2021-2022 are for candidates from high-income Commonwealth countries, for full-time doctoral study at a UK university for awards commencing between January to March 2022.
These Commonwealth Ph.D. scholarships are funded by the UK Department for Education in conjunction with UK universities to support world-class research and to contribute to UK higher education and research to help sustain international recognition of the UK higher education system and for the benefit of wider society. The CSC does not offer scholarships to candidates from high-income Commonwealth countries who have already started their Ph.D. studies in the UK.
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarship Benefits
- Travel expenses will be covered from your home country and return at the end of your award
- Fully Tuition fee waiver will be provided to Commonwealth P.H.D. Scholarships
- Monthly expenses will also be provided to the Commonwealth P.H.D. Scholarships stipend at the rate of £1,110 per month or £1,362 per month for those at universities in the LMA (London Metropolitan Area)
- Warm clothing allowance will be provided to the Commonwealth P.H.D. Scholarships, where applicable
- Study Travel expenses will be covered
- Mid-term visit airfare to your home country will be covered to the Commonwealth P.H.D. Scholarships during your scholarship
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships Eligibility Criteria
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country
- Show evidence that you are a permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country. You must have lived in an eligible Commonwealth country for a period of 5 years for a continuous period within the last 10 years. If the CSC is unable to interpret this from your application, you will be contacted to provide further evidence.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK between January to March 2021 (to be agreed by the CSC)
- Hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honors standard, or a second class degree and relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree) by the time of submitting your scholarship application
- Not be registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., at a UK university before January 2021
- Not have commenced and been currently registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., in your home country or elsewhere
- Hold an unconditional offer from your chosen university/universities listed on your CSC online application, at the point of being notified that you have been provisionally selected for an award by the CSC*
- References from at least two individuals
- A supporting statement from a proposed supervisor at one or more of the UK universities
How to Apply for the Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships?
You must make your application directly to the CSC using CSC’s online application system. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system. You are not required to apply via a nominating body for these scholarships.
Only one application per applicant for these scholarships will be accepted.
- Proof that you are a citizen of an eligible Commonwealth country: a copy of your valid passport (or national ID card) showing your photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship – uploaded to the online application system
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications listed on your online application form (with certified translations if not in English). All transcripts must be up to date at the time of submitting your application, including any transcripts to date for qualifications for which you are currently reading – uploaded to the online application system
- References from at least two individuals – submitted directly by the referee to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request).
- A supporting statement from a proposed supervisor at one or more of the UK universities named on your application form – submitted directly by your supervisor to the online application system (supervisors will be sent an email request).