Ever felt like “I don’t know what to do with my life”? Well, that’s okay. Here’s a complete guide for anyone who’s lost, stuck or in a life crisis.
Have you ever found yourself stuck in a situation where you’re wondering “I don’t know what to do with my life”? Yes? Maybe? Well, we’re all human beings and that’s perfectly okay. Sometimes, we’re at a point in our life where we feel like our world is collapsing. And, there’s nothing we can do to stop or avoid it. We feel so little and worthless that we don’t find a reason good enough to wake up in the morning for.
Why People get into the situations when they think, “I don’t know what to do with my life”?
One of the funniest aspects of life is that it is always preparing us for something. Something better. Something exciting enough to wake us up in the morning. “I don’t know what to do with my life” phase can hit you anytime. Whether you’re still a teen, a young adult or in your 50’s, you can feel like you’re doomed for failure and that you’ve achieved nothing in this life.
In this life, there are things that are important, and then there are things that don’t mean anything at all. When people get into situations where they think “I don’t know what to do with my life” they’re paying more attention to things that don’t mean anything in the long term.
Most of the people just strive. They don’t live their lives to the fullest. And then they’re hit with the realization that they’ve achieved nothing useful in this life.
And, a lot of time, people select a career they think they’ll be happy with. But, as they grow up, they realize that it’s not something they want to do. This is not something that inspires them. And they start wondering here and there in search of something they love but fail. This is where they realize they don’t know what to do with their life.
What makes you think, “I don’t know what to do with my life”?
- Are you satisfied with what you’re doing?
- Are you where you’ve always wanted to be?
- Are you doing something you love?
- Is it something you’ve always wanted to do?
- Is it something that inspires you?
- Are you stuck because you won’t be able to find something better?
- Where do you want to be instead?
And you’ll find out why you feel like “I don’t know what to do with my life”.
How to find out the purpose of your life?
Do you constantly feel like “I don’t know what to do with my life”? Do you feel lost? Or numb? They say that there are two days in our lives that we should be grateful of:
- The day we were born, and
- The day we discover the purpose of our life.
It means that if you haven’t figured out the purpose of your life yet, then you’re surely lost and doomed.
- But, what exactly is the purpose of life?
- Most of the time when people ask
- What is the purpose of my life?
- They mean to say “What was I born for? and
- What should I do with my life?
Here are 5 critical steps to find out the purpose of your life:
- Find out what is it that drives you? Is there anything you just can’t strive with? What is it that you want to achieve to strive?
- Find out what it is that energizes you? How would you like to solve the problem that you just can’t live with?
- Find out what or who is it that you’re willing to sacrifice everything for? Is your family worth it? You’ll know the purpose of your life when you’ll be able to recognize the things or people you love to the point you’re willing to sacrifice everything for them.
- Find out who is it that you want to help? Is it you? Is it someone you love? Is it your family? Your children?
- Find out how is it that you want to help? You need to utilize your passions as well as your abilities to the best to accomplish your mission in this life.
Finding out the purpose of your life is a long, long journey. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself while finding out the purpose of your life:
- What is it that gives you a feeling of satisfaction, love or purpose?
- What is it that makes you feel alive?
- What are the biggest problems you’ve faced in this life so far?
- What is it that helped you overcome those problems?
- What is it that inspires you?
- What is it that you fear the most?
- Why do you even fear it?
- What do you want your children to think about you?
- How do you want to be remembered by your grandchildren?
- Do you have any memories that electrify you? What are those?
- How do you want to spend your days in this world?
- What is it that you want to do every day without being pressured?
20 things that you can do with your life
If you’re still stuck at the idea “I don’t know what to do with my life” then here’s a list of 20 things you can do with your life to break out of a dull and monotonous routine.
- Read books.
- Make friends.
- Watch documentaries.
- Learn a language.
- Play a sport.
- Learn how to cook.
- Sign up for something you’ve always wanted to do.
- Sign up for something that makes you a little uncomfortable.
- Go for DIY projects.
- Find a new hobby.
- Find something you’re passionate about it. Do it.
- Adopt an animal.
- Keep a journal. Maintain it.
- Learn how to forgive.
- Make a bucket list. Write everything that you want to achieve.
- Make mistakes. Learn from them. Repeat.
- Accept failure. Be happy with what you have.
- Do at least one thing that you love daily.
- How others figured out what to do with their life
Well, if you’re still stuck at the phase of life where you’re wondering “I don’t know what to do with my life” then here’s some inspiration for you from people who proved that it’s never too late to decide what you want in your life.
JK Rowling – Accept failure
“I don’t think we talk about failure enough. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent, and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless … By every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew. It would’ve really helped to have someone who had had a measure of success come to say to me, ‘You will fail. That’s inevitable. It’s what you do with it.”
Richard Branson – Never give up
“The amount of time people waste dwelling on failures, rather than putting that energy into another project, always amazes me. I have fun running ALL the Virgin businesses — so a setback is never a bad experience, just a learning curve.”
Maya Angelou – Build a new path for yourself
“My paternal grandmother, Mrs Annie Henderson, gave me advice that I have used for 65 years. She said, ‘If the world puts you on a road you do not like if you look ahead and do not want that destination which is being offered and you look behind and you do not want to return to your place of departure, step off the road. Build yourself a new path.”
Eric Schmidt – Don’t be afraid to say yes
“Find a way to say yes to things. Say yes to invitations to a new country, say yes to meet new friends, say yes to learn something new. Yes is how you get your first job, and your next job, and your spouse, and even your kids.”
Steve Jobs – Do something more than just your passion
“Yeah, we’re always talking about following your passion, but we’re all part of the flow of history … you’ve got to put something back into the flow of history that’s going to help your community, help other people … so that 20, 30, 40 years from now … people will say, this person didn’t just have a passion, he cared about making something that other people could benefit from.”
What inspiration did you get from this article?
Life is not perfect. Nor are human beings. There’ll be times when you’ll find yourself drowning in your own fears. You’ll find the floor beneath your feet crumbling. But, that doesn’t mean you should quit. Instead of complaining how awful your life is because “I don’t know what to do with my life”, stand up, get over your fears, and start experimenting.
Search More Scholarships!