This MEXT-APU Japan Government scholarship 2020-2021 will be awarded to outstanding international students who are recommended by APU. The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) provides this scholarship with the aim of enhancing international competitiveness and promoting the active exchange of international students in Japanese universities.
MEXT-APU Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Intend to study abroad in Japan from overseas
- Not have Japanese nationality and be a national of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Be born on or after April 2, 1985
- Those who are serving on active military duty or civilians employed by the military at the time of application are not eligible for this scholarship
- Recipients must be able to arrive in Japan during the arrival period stipulated by APU
- Those who apply for this scholarship cannot have received a MEXT scholarship in the past unless they have more than 3 years of educational research experience after the final payment of the previous MEXT scholarship award
- Those who apply for this scholarship cannot be applying for another MEXT scholarship
- Recipients of this scholarship cannot receive a scholarship from another scholarship organization while studying at APU
- Recipients of this scholarship must have a student as their status of residence (visa status) in Japan
MEXT-APU Japan Government Scholarship Coverage
- 100% of tuition (covered by the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship)
- 144,000 JPY per month for living expenses (amount subject to change)
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the program
How to apply for MEXT Japan Scholarship?
- Submit the APU application by November 19, 2019. Additional documents are not required to be considered for this scholarship.
- APU reviews application documents and selects outstanding candidates to recommend to MEXT
- Applicants selected to be recommended for this scholarship are notified with their final APU application results
- Selected applicants complete and submit additional MEXT (SGU) application documents to APU
- The final scholarship award results are decided by MEXT
About APU Japan University
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) first opened its doors in 2000 thanks to a collaboration between the Ritsumeikan Trust, Oita Prefecture and Beppu City. With an entirely new multicultural learning environment consisting of half international students and half Japanese/domestic students, APU’s aim was to provide an international education that leads to the development of global leaders, working in a diverse range of fields and industries. In these past fifteen years, this goal has not only been reached as APU now has over 10,000 alumni from over one hundred thirty countries and regions.
APU’s graduate programs have been selected for several prestigious scholarship schemes in recent years. These include the Joint/Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program and the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program, which provide support to students from member countries to undertake graduate studies at renowned institutions of higher education around the world. APU is also among the very few institutions to be selected by the Japanese government for scholarships such as the Student Priority Placement Program. Some of the other organizations that have sponsored students to study in our graduate programs include the Indonesian Ministry of Finance, Japanese corporations, local government bodies and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). This is a testimony to the value placed on APU’s graduate programs by both public and private sectors in Japan and throughout the world.
Why Study in Japan?
Japan has a long and rich history and is a diverse cultural mix of East and West, old and new, and natural and highly engineered. Having gone through various stages of development, the nation’s rich and unique culture is what led it to emerge as a world leader in terms of economy and technology. Its strong economy, combined with a culture that places a great deal of importance on respect for others, also makes it one of the safest countries in the world. For international students, it is an ideal environment in which to live and study.