What is the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)?
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or the people who are foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Each year the Swiss scholarship council awards Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for International Students (FCS).
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) Types
Following Switzerland, Scholarship types are offered under Swiss Government Scholarships (SGS) are as follows
- Research Scholarship
The research scholarship is available to the post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum). If you are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level then this opportunity is definitely for you. Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered so you better get an acceptance letter before applying for Swiss Scholarship.
- Art Scholarship
Art scholarships are open to the art students interested to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to the students from a limited number of countries only.
What are the benefits of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) for Ph.D.?
- Health insurance for non-EU and non-EFTA students
- One-year half-fare public transportation card
- Monthly stipend of CHF 1920
- Support for various trips, dinners and sightseeing tours.
- Special CHF 300 housing allowance (paid once at the beginning)
- For non-EU students, a flight allowance for a ticket back to their home country
What are the benefits of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) for Postdoc?
- All other benefits are the same as mentioned above for Ph.D.
- Monthly stipend of CHF 3500
How to apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)?
Applicants have to apply for scholarships via the Swiss embassy in their home country and they can obtain the application package by e-mail from the Swiss Embassy. Scholarship requirements, application deadline and the types of scholarship offers vary according to the country.
Are you Eligible to apply for a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)?
Before you apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS), make sure that you must meet all the requisites of admission and scholarship award mentioned by the nominating institution.
Applicants that do not meet all the eligibility criteria of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) will not be accepted.
- Applicants for doctoral programs must also provide admission letter from the doctoral school in addition to the supporting invitation or acceptance letter from the supervisor. (Candidates must submit their application for admission to the doctoral school in advance of the scholarship deadline).
- Applicants must provide a Support Letter from an academic professor at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the PhD thesis.
- Ph.D. Applicant’s date of birth should be after December 31, 1983.
What documents are required for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)?
Applicants should submit 2 sets of application documents (1 original + 1 copy):
1st set of documents contains the original, signed documents plus the letters of recommendation.
2nd set of documents is the copy of the 1st set except for the letters of recommendation.
- Two copies of the applicant’s passport (main page with personal data)
- Medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form)
- Copies of certificates and transcripts from previously attended universities/colleges
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (use exclusively the FCS reference form)
- Applicants for doctoral programs: admission letter from the doctoral school
- Letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV)
- Research proposal using the FCS research proposal form
- Motivation letter
- CV with a list of academic publications
- FCS application form with photo, (typed, printed and signed)
The announcement of Selected Applications for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)
Applications are subjected to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then assessed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for International Students (FCS), which takes the final decision.
The FCS is composed of professors from all Swiss public universities. Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
Deadline for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)
- For the USA: 05 October
- For Australia: 30 November
- For Pakistan: 30 September
- For Indonesia: 11 December
- For India: 12 November
Further information on the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS)
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) is now open for all international students, so now, you have the opportunity to apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) before the deadline.