Quebec Scholarships 2021-2022
Quebec provides an excellent service on the quality of education that they provide to their students. The nation also has affordable tuition fees, living costs, and shorter programs. This must be the reason why the country has become favorable as a study destination for foreign nationals.
Although Quebec is only starting to grow its network when it comes to catering to the international states, the nation has proven that they have built a strong foundation by soaring several university rankings globally. Aside from the quality of education, Quebec is known to provide a good study environment which is also a vital element for academic performance. Here, we will be looking at some of the best scholarships available in Quebec for international students.
Cost of Living for International Students in Quebec
The cost of living in Quebec is relatively low compared to other countries. On average, the student must have prepared at least $1,200 per month to sustain its daily needs. These include food expenses, accommodation, and other personal expenditures.
Are International Students permitted to work in Quebec?
International students currently pursuing their degrees are permitted to work in Quebec as long as they have a study permit and can continue their studies full-time. However, the students must not exceed 20 total working hours per week while on their study session. If not, they can exceed the maximum limit specified.
Top Universities in Quebec
There are several universities in Quebec. To be ranked globally, the university must first get accredited by a Canadian higher education-related organization. They must also provide Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees to its student.
Based on valid data and metrics, the top three universities in the Quebec University Rankings are McGill University, Université de Montréal, and Université Laval. These are the top-ranked university that progressively showcases their quality education to local and international students.
Best Scholarships in Quebec
1. Quebec Merit Scholarships
Quebec Merit Scholarship is the best scholarship in Quebec because it is a government-funded program for international students who wants to pursue a Doctoral and Post-doctoral degree in Quebec. The program aims to engage skilled and outstanding foreign nationals by providing financial assistance during their study period. To be an eligible candidate, the applicant must meet the specified requirements of their selected level of study. Applicants are also required to pursue research activities and studies at any selected Quebec University.
Grantees for the Quebec Merit Scholarship will depend on their chosen study level. Grantees for the Doctoral research scholarship will receive $25 000 per year with a maximum duration of three (3) years. If there is a 12-months of possible extension, then a total of $1, 000 will be provided per month. On the other hand, selected students for the Post-doctoral scholarship will receive $35, 000 for one year and is non-renewable.
2. CDI College Scholarship Program
The CDI College aims to transform people’s lives by providing superior education to driven and dedicated students. They want to prepare the students for the working industry through various forms of learning experiences.
To achieve this, the college offers an annual scholarship grant to local and international students who wants to study at CDI. The goal is to engage them to do their best and achieve an outstanding academic track record. The grant is open to foreign nationals. However, they must first be admitted to the university to be a CDI College student to be eligible for this Quebec scholarship. Interested applicants have two options to choose from:
- Provincial Government Student Assistance: The offer is open to post-secondary students in the provincial government. The CDI College will assist the applicant on the application process of the student assistance.
- RBC Royal Credit Line for Students: The program is open to students who want to finance their studies. Unlike the traditional loan, RBC lets the student borrows funds and pays the interest on only the amount used. The student also does not need to re-apply.
The applicants will be informed about the admission process about the charges and the total amount of tuition expense. The student can pay either cash or through their student aid only if granted. Grantees for the scholarship program will get in touch with the college’s financial representative and get in terms of the negotiated payment plan. The program does not offer full coverage of tuition expenses. If the students failed to pay upon the date, they are suspended and dismissed from the college.
3. ETS: École de Technologie Superieure Scholarship Program
The École de Technologie Superieure (ETS) scholarship program offers an annual scholarship grant to encourage ETS Bachelor graduates to take a Doctoral or Masters degree at the school. The offer shall attract ETS graduates and enable them to devote themselves to the study. The scholarship program is open to applicants whose legal status is either a Canadian citizen, Permanent resident, and international student. Interested applicants must meet the eligibility criteria specified by ETS:
- Enrolled in an ÉTS Bachelor’s degree or have obtained a Bachelor’s degree from ÉTS. The applicant must be applying in the Doctoral and Master’s level of study.
- Applicants who have also started a program related to this assistance are also eligible to apply.
- Have acquired a cumulative average of at least 3.7 or 4.3 on their Bachelor’s and Master’s degree.
- Students who are enrolled or plan to enroll in the fast-track Bachelor or Master program
Other than the above requirements stated, the applicants must also need to submit a research project and a thesis advisor. The selected applicant for the scholarship program will receive the following benefits— $20,000 per year (2 years) and $20,000 per year (3 years). The duration of the award can be adjusted in certain circumstances.
4. IRRST: Graduate Studies Scholarship
The IRRST Scholarship program aims to help students whose research program centers either on the Prevention of Workplace Accidents & Occupational Diseases or on the Rehabilitation of Workers who are victims of the same. This Quebec scholarship is open to Canadian citizens, Permanent residents, and international students. IRRST offers two study levels for the scholarship offer. Applicants can only select partnered Quebec Universities that IRRST will offer.
- Master’s Degree: The category of this program focuses on Master’s students who ambition to obtain research training in the field of health and safety. To be eligible, the applicant must meet the specified requirements for this specific study level. These include presenting a research project, have a cumulative average of at least B + or equivalent, etc. Grantees from the program will receive the scholarship for a maximum of two (2) years or until the end of the study period. However, there are listed restrictions and conditions that the students must oblige.
- Doctoral Degree: The Doctoral degree is open to students who want to acquire research training in any selected university in Quebec. To be selected, eligible applicants must meet all strict requirements specified by IRRST. If granted, the students will receive scholarship coverage for four years, depending on the duration of the study period.
5. FRQS Scholarship Award Program
The Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQS) offers a scholarship program to support student’s excellence in research and training. The program is open to Bachelor’s and Master’s programs in natural sciences, mathematical sciences, and engineering. The founders believe that the support in financial assistance will stimulate and engage more in the development of students’ knowledge and innovation. This scholarship in Quebec is open to Canadian citizens, Permanent residents, and International students.
Interested applicants must meet the eligibility requirements of the program. These include eligibility period, supervision of research projects, training location in Quebec, restrictions, Basic research ethics training, etc. Afterward, the applicants shall submit the required documents for the review process.
If granted, applicants will receive scholarship coverage depending on their study level— $17,500 per year for a Masteral degree (max. two years) and $21,000 per year for a Doctoral degree (max. four years). While on the study period, grantees have the opportunity to be given future employment and other awards.