Luxembourg Scholarships 2021-2022
Although Luxembourg is a small country, it has the potential to provide the best quality education for international students. The country has been progressively soaring its rank in the World University Rankings by the Times Higher Education. In no time, it will be able to compete with top universities if it became their focus.
Although Luxembourg is still growing, the country has become popular for its diversified nature. It is known to be the best and most powerful investment management center in Europe. Not only does Luxembourg provide top-ranked universities, but there are also many scholarships available at Luxembourg for international students. That is why it will not be a surprise if Luxembourg soars at the top list as a study destination for foreign nationals.
What is the Cost of Living for International Students in Luxembourg?
Luxembourg has a high standard of living within Europe. International students who want to pursue their studies must have sufficient funds to sustain their needs. On average, students must need to have savings ranging from 700 to 1,500 EUR every month. The estimated cost does not include the accommodation costs ranging from 600 to 1,000 EUR per month, depending on if they are with scholarship grants.
Are International Students permitted to work in Luxembourg?
International students who ambition to work while they pursue their degree in Luxembourg are permitted. It is only possible if they are enrolled in any universities in the country. The students are only allowed to work up to 40 hours per week during holidays. Throughout the year, the students are allowed up to 15 hours per week. The restrictions apply to enrolled students at the University of Luxembourg. However, most universities also follow these rules, so students must check their university’s regulations.
Top Universities in Luxembourg
There are many leading universities in Luxembourg. Aside from providing high-quality education, Luxembourg has also excelled in engaging international students to study. Half of the country’s percentage population are either foreign citizens or are applying to be a citizen. With that, Luxembourg became the host to provide cultural diversity and became an engaging factor as a study destination for foreign nationals.
Because of its multicultural environment, the country has learned to adapt and compete for its education standing globally. According to international rankings, there are almost three leading universities in Luxembourg— the University of Luxembourg, Sacred Heart University, and the University of Luxembourg Competence Centre.
Best Scholarships in Luxembourg
1. CEDIES Scholarships
CEDIES (Centre de Documentation et d’Information sur l’Enseignement supérieur) is a government scholarship from the Luxembourg Government. It is open to enrolled students in higher studies and is residing in either the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) member states. This Luxembourg scholarship also includes students who are nationals of a third-world country but is now residing in Luxembourg. To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following conditions:
- The students must have the Luxembourgish Nationality.
- A family member of a Luxembourg citizen and is currently residing in the country.
- Nationals of the EU, EEA, or the Swiss Confederation. They must also reside in Luxembourg as a wage worker or a family of the mentioned categories. They must also possess permanent residence status.
- National of a third-world country. The student must have resided in Luxembourg for not less than five years. The student must also hold a secondary school leaving certificate acknowledged by the Luxembourg of Ministry of Education.
- Have a political refugee status and is currently residing in Luxembourg.
- The student must be a child of any nationals of the EU, EEA, or the Swiss Confederation.
Grantees from the CITIES Scholarship Program will receive financial assistance amounting to 13.000€ per academic year. It can cover tuition and accommodation of eligible students granted to take a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in the country. The program also offers fees deduction for students who will take up courses such as Masters in Logistics and Supply Chain.
2. Max Planck Luxembourg Ph.D. Scholarship Program
The Max Planck Luxembourg Institute offers an annual scholarship program for international doctoral students who are interested to take up their research studies in Luxembourg. The goal is to promote assistance to young foreign scholars and further advance their research studies through this academic exchange. To be eligible for this scholarship at Luxembourg, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Doctoral candidates carrying out their research study within the Institute’s areas of research.
- Aspire to be associated either to the Department of International Law & Dispute Resolution or the Department of European & Comparative Procedural Law.
- English Language Proficiency (Compulsory)
Interested applicants must also need to submit a cover letter, up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), a summary of the Ph.D. project (max. two pages), and two letters of recommendation. Grantees from the scholarship will receive a monthly installment of 1.500 €. The selected applicants shall have access to the library, a separate workstation, and the opportunity to engage in any scientific event hosted by the Institute. The scholarship offer is also open to students whose writing their thesis in a language other than English.
3. LSB: Luxembourg School of Business Scholarship
The Luxembourg School of Business (LSB) offers two types of scholarships for international students who ambition to pursue their MBA degree in LSB, Luxembourg. It is a competitive-based scholarship awarded only according to a strict set of criteria. Interested applicants are required to submit first an application to the Weekend MBA before inquiring about a scholarship.
- International Entrepreneur Scholarship
The International Entrepreneur Scholarship program mainly focuses on applicants who have commenced their own company and would like to enroll in LSB to gain relevant knowledge, practice, and skills. This Luxembourg scholarship award may cover up to 75% of the tuition expense. Applicants must also submit statements on how the Weekend MBA program will help them develop their venture.
- Merit-based Scholarship
The Merit-based Scholarship program gives its support to skilled students who want to acquire business knowledge in LSB. The priority, however, is for those students who need financial assistance to do so. The scholarship grant can cover up to 50% of the tuition expense on their MBA degree. Interested applicants for this scholarship program must submit all the requirements and must have demonstrated their outstanding academic performance to be selected.
All applications for the Luxembourg School of Business (LSB) Scholarship will be assessed thoroughly based on the provided MBA Application of the applicants. Therefore, applicants who have applied for the scholarship must have shown excellent records on their motivation letter, academic transcripts, letter of recommendation, and other supporting documents.
4. Sacred Heart University Scholarships
Sacred Heart University (SHU) offers an annual Luxembourg scholarship program to students who want to pursue their MBA degrees at SHU. The program is also open to international students who also ambitions to reduce the cost of their MBA education throughout their MBA study. Interested applicants may only apply for one scholarship.
- Merit-based: The merit-based scholarship grant is for students who have shown excellent academic track records. The basis of selection and reduction of fees are from the GMAT score of the applicants. 10% reduction for 550-600, 15% for 601-650, and 20% for a score of 650 and above. In case the GMAT score is unavailable, achievements other than GMAT are accepted.
- Internship: The program is for students who are currently pursuing their MBA degrees at the university. Students granted this scholarship shall receive payment during their assigned internship. The length depends on specific criteria and will range from 6-10 months. On the other hand, the student will receive a remuneration between €1.000 to €1.400
- Housing: The scholarship is for students who need financial assistance on their housing expenses. Grantees from the scholarship will receive housing expenses at the university’s dormitory throughout their study and will last after the student receives remuneration from the internship. An average of € 400- €500 will be given per month.
5. EBU: European Business University of Luxembourg Scholarships
The European Business University of Luxembourg (EBU) offers a pool of scholarships to help finance and assist their students throughout the study. The EBU Africa, Central or South America, and Asia Scholarship programs are open to international students who want to study at EBU under specific requirements. This scholarship in Luxembourg aims to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals by widening their student assistance to selected countries.
To be eligible, interested applicants must demonstrate that they are either national or one of the selected countries. Refugee status in another country is also accepted. It will be a competitive selection, so students are required to show and demonstrate outstanding criteria specified by the university. Grantees from the EBU Scholarship program will need to pay first a €10 commitment/processing fee before receiving the scholarship of €730.