Latvia has continuously been emphasizing providing good educational background to its students. To be acknowledged on a global scale, the country has made several educational reforms to cater to the international standard. The perseverance and quality that Latvia is offering is the reason why international students choose Latvia as one of the best study destinations in the world. Here, we will be looking at some of the best scholarships in Latvia for international students.
Aside from the quality of education, Latvia also offers a clean and green environment. Students who love a calming environment will fall in love with the place after arriving in the country. According to the masses, this is a great place to retire and enjoy life. The country serves as a big contribution to the well-being so, several foreign nationals choose Latvia as their study destination.
What is the Cost of Living for International Students in Latvia?
Compared to many European countries, the cost of living in Latvia is relatively low and cheaper. Students who want to pursue a degree in Latvia will need to save an average monthly living expense between 450 AND 700 EUR. The amount is enough to cover the student’s expenditures such as accommodation, food, transportation, utilities, etc.
Are International Students permitted to work in Latvia?
International students are permitted to work in Latvia while they are pursuing a degree in the country. Without holding any work permit on their student visa, they are eligible to work part-time jobs. However, as per the rule of the European Union States, international students are not allowed to exceed the 20 hours per week limit during the semesters and 40 hours per week during the semester breaks.
Top Universities in Latvia
Latvia has built a strong foundation in its educational system. The endless reformations lead them to be able to compete globally alongside known and top universities. Although there is still room for improvement, the country has been showing progress on the development of the education that they are currently offering to both local and international students.
According to a strict analysis of International Rankings, the top three (3) leading universities in Latvia are the University of Latvia, Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies, and Riga Technical University.
Best Scholarships in Latvia
Study in Latvia is a Government-funded program established to engage outstanding international students to study at Latvia. The country has been tremendously excelling in education and is confident that they can provide the best possible education to their students.
This Latvian scholarship program is open to 40 eligible countries whose students are interested to pursue a Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree studies in Latvia. However, the applicant must take note that the scholarship grant will not fully cover the expenses. Meaning, all other expenditures such as living, food, and travel must be covered by the student personally. Candidates who are interested in the scholarship must meet the eligibility criteria:
- The applicant is a Bachelor’s student that has completed a minimum of one (1) academic year at any higher education institution (HEI).
- The applicant is a Master’s or Doctoral student from any previous higher education institution (HEI).
Bachelors and Masters students who are granted the scholarship will receive the grant amounting to €500 per month. The awarded period for the monthly coverage will be up to 10 months of their study period. On the other hand, awarded Doctoral students will receive €670 per month and up to 11 months of their study period. The language of instructions of any Latvian University circulates English, German, and Latvian. Therefore, international students must at least provide their proficiency in any of the languages specified by the program.
Latvian State Scholarship is a government-funded program established as a bilateral agreement between the Latvian Government and partnered countries. The State Education Development Agency (SEDA) offers a lot of financial assistance to international students because the mutual benefits of international cooperation gave a positive outcome to the country. Interested applicants must meet the application conditions specified by the Republic of Latvia.
- The candidate is national of any of the partnered countries of the Latvian Government.
- Flexible to understand the Latvian language. The language of instructions of most higher education in the country is mainly Latvian. However, there is also a program offered in English.
- Applicants who intend to enroll in Bachelor’s or first level of professional higher education studies are also eligible to apply.
- The candidate has the required documents showcasing personal information and excellent standing in academic performance.
Granted Bachelor’s and Master’s students from the Latvian State Scholarship will receive 500 EUR per month. The Doctoral students, on the other hand, will receive 670 EUR per month. The awarded period will vary depending on the degree that the applicant has applied for. For the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, the grantees will receive monthly coverage up to 10 months of their study period.
Meanwhile, Doctoral students are awarded up to 11 months of their study period. If the student wants to pursue their degree after the study period, they can re-apply for the Latvian State Scholarship. However, it will only be available if the applicant has not exceeded the two consecutive terms per individual.
Turība University is known to be the largest business university in Latvia. They are annually offering Latvian scholarships for international students. That is to attest to the quality and ensure an excellent study exchange experience.
With the ongoing development alongside the global scale, Turība University has now built a premium quality of education. Turība University has been offering English as their language of instruction to all level study programs— College degree to Doctoral degree. There has been the reason why international choose the University as their study destination.
Aside from the Latvian State Scholarship, Turība University also provides its scholarship grant. Highly valuing the students’ achievements, the founders are offering a merit-based scholarship to its students. The grant is awarded to deserving international students who have shown the best results in their studies.
This scholarship at Latvia will depend on the students’ achievements and ranges between a 100% funded tuition fee or a 600 EUR Scholarship. The offer is open only to students from their 2nd, 3rd and 4th study years of bachelor programs. Meaning, they must first enroll and study for at least one year at Turība University to be eligible. Expenditures other than the tuition fee shall be covered by the student personally.
The University of Latvia has been the leading and most influential university in Latvia. The school has been soaring ranks not just within the country, but on a global scale. To develop more a successful educational system, the university annually offers several scholarships to international students who want to pursue a degree in Latvia. The University of Latvia offers three scholarships to its students— Patron Scholarships, State-funded Scholarships, and Latvian State Scholarships.
- Patron Scholarships: The program is awarded to students who have an excellent academic track record. The grant is open to international students who are national of any European Union (EU) member state and a third-country citizen. Other information such as the requirements, process, and benefits shall be available upon the applicant’s request.
- State Funded-Scholarship: The program focuses on fun students pursuing their undergraduate and graduate career in Latvia. All of the required documents shall be submitted to the secretary of the faculty. Other information regarding the process shall be available upon request of the applicants.
- Latvian State Scholarship: This is a Government-funded scholarship awarded to international students who are nationals of any of the partnered countries of the Latvian Government. The grant will range between €500 to €670, depending on their chosen study level.
Riga Graduate School is a specialized law school that is offering annual Latvian scholarships to interested international students taking Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral studies. The school aims to provide education from an international perspective and be acknowledged in the international market. To achieve that, Riga Graduate school has been engaging foreign nationals to study at the institution through three (3) scholarship offers.
- RGSL Excellence Scholarships: The RGSL Scholarship grant is available to Bachelot students holding the highest grade average from the submitted admission requirements. The selected candidate will receive tuition fee waivers as a scholar of the Riga Graduate School.
- Tuition fee waivers: The tuition fee waiver is only available if the student has a sibling studying at RGSL, the candidate has 1st or 2nd degree of disability, is orphan, an employee at the RGSL, children of an RGSL employee, and graduates of SSE Riga.
- Latvian Government Scholarship: The Latvian Government scholarship is open to foreign nationals residing in selected countries. The grant can range between 500 EUR to 750 EUR per month.